Ever wish your eyes would hide your secrets a little better? Does the whole world really need to know that you pulled an all-nighter with the baby last night, or that your GNO lasted a little longer than you planned (and may have included a little more wine that intended)? The experts at Beautique Medical Spa believe that everyone has the right to be able to show off a bright, youthful, and hydrated eye area, and now everyone can thanks to our Brite EYES treatments.
Contrary to popular belief and old wives’ tales, unwanted dark circles and hollow under eyes are usually more about anatomy rather than your lifestyle choices. Phew! It’s nice to know that some of the things we don’t like to see on our faces just happen and not because of the extra wine we drank. In fact, the most common reason for the appearance of hollow dark circles is volume loss in the under-eye area, also called ‘tear troughs’. Volume loss in the tear trough area is one of the earliest signs of physiological ageing and becomes deeper and darker in appearance as one gets older.
The under-eye area may have a hollowed look due to genetics, volume loss due to aging, from environmental and health factors such as excessive sun exposure, or habits such as cigarette smoking that can affect the skin internally and externally. Hollowness can affect the whole under eye area all the way to the upper cheeks, or just the small area directly below the eyes called the tear trough. In the last few years we have seen a considerable rise in the number of women and men seeking tear trough filler treatment to revitalize their tired-looking eyes. In fact, it is one of our most requested services by our Rio Grande Valley residents. This week we are going to dive deep into why we start to lose volume, when we start to lose volume, and what we can do to help you show off your Brite Eyes with confidence.
WHAT ARE UNDER EYE FILLERS?
An under eye filler treatment involves the injection of a hyaluronic acid solution under the skin below the eyes. Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is found naturally in almost every cell in the body but has the greatest concentrations in the skin tissue. In fact, almost 50% of the body’s HA is found in the skin. It is found in both the deep underlying dermal areas as well as the visible epidermal top layer. As we age our skin begins to lose hyaluronic acid and hollow areas and wrinkles start developing.
So, what does hyaluronic acid have to do with giving us brighter more youthful eyes? It is the main ingredient found in the dermal fillers we use such as Juvéderm, which provides our patients with a long-lasting, non-surgical option containing a modified form of HA making it the top choice with our injecting team. Since hyaluronic acid fillers are soft and blend into the surrounding skin, they create the most natural effect under eyes. These injections rejuvenate the skin and help it to look smoother and plumper. They fill in the hollows under the eyes and integrate with the skin to smooth it out and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and shadows. The results are visibly instant and will make your skin look more youthful. And the best part, they can last up to 2 years!
TYPES OF UNDER EYE FILLERS?
There are many different types of under eye filler injections. The following are some of the most popular options:
- Restylane: This is a hyaluronic acid-based filler that is highly versatile and can be used under the eyes and in the cheeks and lips.
- Belotero: This filler is similar to Restylane, but it’s easier to layer and seems to work better for addressing very fine lines.
- PRP (platelet-rich plasma): Also known as a “vampire facelift,” this is a two-step procedure that uses your own purified blood plasma (stem cells) to heal, smooth, and regenerate the skin.
- Juvéderm: This is the US’s most popular and administered filler that is specially manufactured to present a natural and smoother look.
We know there are a lot of products on the market, thankfully you don’t have to worry about which product to use. Leave that to the experts.
The most crucial part of any Dermal Filler journey is the consultation. A consultation can make or break your results. In fact, the consultation is SUCH an important part of our practice that we have consultations with our clients every 3-4 months to review and update their progress. We use the VISIA by Canfield to take a number of precise pictures of your face and skin to be able to get a true reading of what you need (and how far you’ve come over time). We can see whether those dark circles and hollowness you are experiencing is because of lifestyle or genetic influences etc. Once we have a proper assessment of your skin, your injector can map out a concrete treatment plan to help you during this journey and guide you every step of the way. In our practice we choose to use the Juvéderm family of hyaluronic acids because we love that they are the gold standard in the Cosmetic Industry. Their results are consistent, predictable, and we have very little to no complications with these products. No matter which type of under eye filler you decide to use, there are lots of benefits that come with choosing fillers over other types of cosmetic treatments.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS?
Tear trough filler is considered a safe ‘advanced’ injectable procedure, which when performed by an appropriately trained and skilled doctor in the procedure, is associated with minimal risks. Bruising and redness are common in the delicate under eye area but spontaneously resolves within a week or two. Once you get past the apprehension of having a needle placed that close to your eye, the procedure is relatively quick and painless. If you watched this week’s What You Want to Know Wednesday segment on YouTube, you’ll see how our Advanced Nurse Practitioner Stephanie explained how she uses cannulas for this treatment and what they are. All of our injectors use cannulas for these types of treatments to maximize comfort and minimize bruising. For sensitive types, “topical numbing creams can be applied to the area 30 minutes prior to the procedure to minimize discomfort. Another reason why we love Juvéderm is because it already comes with built in lidocaine which provides patience with comfort and helps save them time any money on numbing. Over the counter creams such as Arnica may also help minimize any bruising if applied after the procedure. We also provide each of our patients with very thorough Pre and Post Treatment instructions and our patients do not go home without our injectors private cell phone numbers and a follow up visit.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF UNDER EYE FILLERS?
- Less Recovery Time: One of the best things about fillers is the fact that there is very little downtime required after you receive them. With more invasive procedures you would need several days or weeks to recover, but with fillers you can receive the injections and get right back to your daily routine.
- Fast Procedure: The process of receiving fillers is very efficient, and most of the time, you can be in and out in just about an hour.
- Long Lasting Results: These results appear right away, and they also last for quite a while. Most of our patients find that their results last for six to nine months. They also find that, with subsequent filler injections, they need them even less frequently.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT DURING YOUR APPOINTMENT:
If you’re on the fence about under eye filler treatments, knowing what to expect from the treatment can help put you at ease. A typical under eye filler treatment with us at Beautique Medical Spa goes something like this:
- When you arrive at Beautique, one of our Cosmetic Injectors will chat with you about the procedure and find out what you’re hoping to achieve. It’s all about expectations. This is when you will have your Perfect Complexion Analysis with the VISIA. The Injector will also want to find out about your lifestyle, cosmetic habits and find out whether or not you are currently using eye products to help strengthen that sensitive skin. In fact we have at least 5-6 different eye creams and eye treatments formulated to treat different issues for different ages. One of our favorites that work well across generations is SENTÈ Illuminè Eye Cream® which is powered by its patented Heparan Sulfate Analog (HAS) technology which improves the appearance of your skin around the eye in as early as 2 weeks. It is also clinically proven to diminish the appearance of dark circles, lines, wrinkles and puffiness around the eye area. In fact, our patients must be using an eye cream when we do these services because we need to make sure that the skin is being strengthened in order to have the best outcome possible.
- Your Cosmetic Injector will then choose the most appropriate product or treatment for you and discuss the options and process.
- The actual injection process includes a very fine needle or a cannula under the skin.
The whole process takes about an hour for the first treatment with consultation. If you need further treatments those are usually about 30-45 minutes. You’ll be in and out in no time at all. You can usually go back to work after receiving injections. However, we usually recommend taking the rest of the day off in order to relax and heal properly.
Under eye fillers are a great option for folks who are interested in a minimally invasive, low-risk procedure that will help to smooth out and plump up their skin. If you’re thinking about getting hyaluronic acid injections, it’s very important that you connect with the cosmetic injector and you trust them. At Beautique we have our Medical Director and Injector that has served the McAllen Area since 1977. His newest member is Nurse Practitioner Stephanie Brown who is a an Advanced Cosmetic Injector for over 10 years as well as a Certified Allergan Cosmetic Trainer, Nurse Deenis who has been practicing Cosmetics in the Rio Grande Valley for over five years, Obed Alvarez, who is Dr. Sanchez’s right hand man and has been with our practice since day one back in 2002, and Nurse Practitioner Gio which makes our Medical Team one of the most experienced team in the Rio Grande Valley. Why do we tell you all this, because we know the importance of being part of a team and we would love the opportunity to help you reach your aesthetic goals.
Give us a call today (956) 664-1234 and together we can Reveal Your Belleza.