Each year, researchers find more and more uses for BOTOX® in treating various medical conditions. While it’s more common use treats fine lines and wrinkles, doctors are discovering it’s power in treating migraines, depression, muscle spasms, hyperhidrosis and even gummy smiles. Some are considered “off label” practices, similar to how an anti-seizure medication can also be used to treat anxiety. Before considering any off-label use, consult with a physician who has experience and knowledge in that drug’s off-label uses. This brings us back to Botox and it’s many common off-label uses throughout the medical and cosmetic field.
Top 5 Off-Label Uses For Botox Cosmetic
- MIGRAINES. BOTOX® became FDA approved for the treatment of migraines in 2002 and is the most common injectable to alleviate intense migraine pain. In just a single treatment, patients experience a great reduction of their migraine symptoms. Common symptoms associated with migraines are intense throbbing pain, sensitivity to light & sound, and nausea. If you experience these symptoms or are currently taking an anti-migraine medicine, Botox may be an alternative.
- DEPRESSION. While not officially approved, doctors are discovering that BOTOX® can be a truly effective method for managing major depression. The proposed mechanism is based on what’s called the facial feedback hypothesis. This holds that a person’s facial expressions can influence their mood. Studies are being held to see how true this holds up, but in the meantime it’s worth an injection or two.
- MUSCLE SPASMS. FDA approved in 2002, BOTOX® treats spasms of the eyelids, face, neck, shoulders, and upper body. Surprisingly, facial spasms are quite a common issue, experienced as uncontrolled twitching in the muscles around the eyes and/or excessive blinking. Treatment prevents the release of chemical transmitters that activate the muscle with results can lasting up to three months.
- HYPERHIDROSIS. Clinically proven and FDA approved since 2002, Botox treats the symptoms of hyperhidrosis. Once injected, Botox reduces sweating in key areas of the hands, feet, underarms, face, and scalp, as well as other areas of the body. BOTOX® works by temporarily blocking the release of a chemical that is responsible for activating sweat glands. Typically, results are noticeable within 2 to 4 days, with the full effect experienced within 2 weeks. Dryness lasts 4 to 12 months, but studies have found it can last as long as 14 months.
- GUMMY SMILE. Sometimes smiling shows more than just our pearly whites. Too much gum above the teeth can make them appear smaller and undesirable by many. Using BOTOX® on the upper lip weakens the muscle, which in turn won’t let it rise as high. A great surgery alternative!
Advancements in Botox
BOTOX® continues to be best-known for its ability to diminish facial wrinkles and reduce facial creases. Whether used for medical treatments or aesthetic purposes, it is a powerful product trusted worldwide and produces great results. If you are interested in using Botox to treat any of these above conditions, schedule a consultation to speak with Dr. Sanchez of Beautique Medical Spa. As the only Platinum Plus Botox Partner in the Rio Grande Valley for excellence, you can trust we have the experience and knowledge in all things Botox. We look forward to hearing from you!